The current version of the firmware (20201023, as of January 22, 2022) for the HP LasterJet Pro P1102w only runs on macOS 10.14 or earlier.
This is not great, as macOS 10.14 was released back 2018. If you try to run the (unsigned, sigh) updater, it crashes looking for a missing dylib (
The workaround — using an Intel-based Mac — is to install Windows in a VM and update it from there. Here’s how:
- Download and install VirtualBox and VirtualBox Extension Pack
- Download a Windows 10 VM
- Import the VM into VirtualBox
- Plug your printer in via USB
- In VirtualBox, select your IE Win10 VM. Click Settings > Ports > USB, enable the USB controller and add a USB filter for your printer.
- Start Windows. Remember the password is “Passw0rd!”
- Go to the HP P1102w driver page. Select Windows and “Windows 10 (64-bit)”:
You’re done! Shut down the Windows VM and go about your day.
We have been trying to connect with our HP P1102w printer after moving to a retirement apartment . We have reloaded the software and we have the printer listed on our list of printers. However, we have attempted to update the firmware and it does not download. Our Mac is 10.13.6 High Sierra software, so, it should be able to be downloaded., as we understand the information on your website. However, when my husband googled the printer name and “printers and drivers,” he received a message saying that the printer was no longer supported, being replace by another computer, 107w. Is this correct to your knowledge now? We understand things change daily in the tech world. Thank you!
I am sorry, Paul. Clarification for the last email….However, when my husband googled the printer name and “printers and drivers,” he received a message saying that the printer was no longer supported, being replace by another PRINTER, 107w.
You need to use a VM (or older computer) to update the firmware. That’s what this post is for.
Leave a comment