I’m a huge fan of Carla Lalli’s Music’s pancakes (aka Bin It to Win It Pancakes aka Cosmo’s Power Pancakes). We make them a bunch, and have fed them to appreciative family and friends.
There’s only one problem with this recipe: it calls for 1.5 cups of buttermilk, and buttermilk comes in quarts. Rather than have the buttermilk go to waste, we, of course … make more pancakes.
Unfortunately, the combination of legacy heirloom units and odd fractions leads to some weird quantities, like ⅓ x 2 ⅔ = ⁸⁄₉ = 0.88578 cups of coconut oil.
Being both Canadian and someone who is used to weight-based baking recipes, I knew there was a better way.
With the help of the King Arthur Ingredient weight chart and my handy scale, I converted the recipe to metric and multiplied by 2.66.
I present you with an easy way to use your scale and a whole quart of buttermilk to make a lot of pancakes. (They freeze well.)
|Ingredient||Unofficial||Video||Metric||Multiplied out||Where Cooking Begins||Metric||Multiplied out|
|Coconut oil||0.33 cup||0.25 cup||79ml||210 ml||2 tbsp butter||28g||113g|
|Oats||0.33 cup||?||30g||80g||0.33 cup||30g||80g|
|Buttermilk||1.5 cups||?||354 ml||945 ml||1.5 cups||354 ml||945 ml|
|AP Flour||1 cup||1 cup||120g||320g||0.75 cup||90g||240g|
|WW Flour||0.5 cups||0.5 cups||57g||150g||0.75 cup||85g||225g|
|Baking powder||1.5 tsp||1.5 tsp||6g||16g||1 tsp||4g||11g|
|Baking soda||0.5 tsp||0.5 tsp||3g||8g||1 tsp||6g||16g|
|Salt||0.5 tsp||?||1g||4g||0.5 tsp||1g||4g|
|Sugar||1 tbsp||Little bit||12g||33g||1 tbsp||12g||33g|
|Flax||0.25 cup||?||35g||93g||2 tbsp||17g||47g|
|Chia||0.25 cup||?||61g||162g||0.33 cup||81g||216g|
- Medium and large bowls
- Whisk, spatula, scoop
- Skillet or griddle
- Microwave- or oven-safe measure to melt coconut oil
- Measure and melt the 210ml coconut oil
- Heat a skillet on medium heat and grease with additional coconut oil
In a medium bowl
- Soak the oats in buttermilk
In a large bowl
- Combine the dry ingredients: mix all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, flax and chia
In the medium bowl
- Add eggs and melted coconut oil (to buttermilk and oats)
- Whisk together
- Pour the wet ingredients in to the large bowl
- Stir with spatula to combine
- Cooking time is approximately 90 seconds per side, depending on the size of the pancake. Adjust your cooktop temperature if they’re cooking too slow or too fast.