M-KOPA is a mobile technology company based in Nairobi, Kenya. Since 2010 we have helped Kenyans acquire solar power products by offering innovative payment plans and a distribution model tailored to the needs of our customers.
M-KOPA Solar provides affordable solar-powered lighting and mobile charging to rural Kenyans on a pay-as-you- go basis, with payment via M-PESA. Additional products using the same patent-pending technology are in pilot.
Our team includes the founder and former executives of Kenya’s popular M-PESA mobile money service.
M-KOPA seeks a high-calibre, experienced, and motivated engineer to join the in Nairobi, Kenya from February 2013 until December 2013.
The fellowship opportunity is supported by LGT Venture Philanthropy’s prestigious iCats Fellowship Program (details are available on the program website).
M-KOPA has a candidate-first HR policy of “finding jobs for great people.” We are seeking the most talented, committed, fun and down-to-earth person we can find to give our technology a “boost” in 2013. Given that we already have an extensive tech team of more than 10 full time employees and part time contractors, covering different technical domains including electronic engineering, software development, database architecture and embedded GSM firmware development, we are open to any candidates who possess strength in the following areas:
- Embedded device firmware: experience developing code for electronics (especially GSM devices)
- Database specialist: experience designing database architecture for scalable, data-driven business
- Enterprise software development: experience with high volume web-based solutions in small and medium-sized teams
- Systems analysis: experience in systems analytics and business process design Selection Criteria
- An undergrad or graduate engineering degree (computer science or electronic engineering or similar)
- Real-world work experience at a dynamic and leading tech company
- Experience traveling or working in Africa
- A great enthusiasm for pitching in and working with a fun team in a fast-moving environment.
- Living and travel stipend as per iCats fellowship terms
- Being part of the iCats fellowship class, including orientation and networking in Zurich pre-fellowship
- The opportunity to spend a year working in “silicon savannah” (Kenya’s tech alley) on a world’s-first innovation, with some of the founders of M-PESA
- A great work environment at “M-KOPA House” – along with great Nairobi weather, flora and fauna, and exciting weekend trips out of town!
- Please send your CV and a cover email to email@example.com by 25th October 2012.
- A shortlist of candidates will be interviewed by phone. The final candidate will be selected by end of October 2012.